Saturday, May 29, 2010

Lessons Learned from the Other Side of Prison

When my husband of then 18 years was sentenced to 70 months in a Federal Prison for wire fraud, I could not imagine life alone. After all, I had NEVER been alone - not really. I had always existed as an extension of someone else - a daughter, a wife, a mother - but never with my own identity. The first 48 months of what I laughingly refer to as our sentence (no one goes to prison alone) I floundered on my own, struggling to find myself. Then one spring morning, I picked up an old friend - one that had been abandoned long ago - my journal. I began to write - unceasingly - for hours at a time - lost in my thoughts, feelings and emotional battles. Through that process, God began to teach me. His lessons came in the form of quiet whispers to my soul as I sorted through the mess that we had allowed our lives to become without Him. There are many forms of prison and isolation - those with walls and razor wires, and those invisible prisons we awake to find ourselves in - prisons of our own creation that consume us when we stray too far from God's saving graces.



I am emerging from my prison now, to the other side of life once more. While the journey is not yet complete (the fact that I am still alive is testimony to His unfinished work), I am at last able to turn about, face the past and harvest those lessons I have learned along the way. Those are the lessons I am compelled to share here. The most important lesson is that we are NEVER truly alone - our creator is always nearby, watching, waiting for the invitation to join us on life's journey. Every day I give thanks to God for having blessed me with such a difficult crossing to this new place, for without it my faith would not have grown.